harish-babu4714385
Dear Team, I joined the company Anantapur (Andhra Pradesh) on 3rd September -2019 as an assistant. Manager. I just resigned from the company few days back (5th Jun-2024) and My last working day is 29th July 2024. Will I eligible for gratuity?

1. I work in an automobile manufacturing company five days a week (Timings 07:45 AM ~ 05.51 PM)
2. What are my options if they plainly deny my gratuity request, saying you haven't completed five years?

Thanks
Harish

Madhu.T.K

Section 2A of the Payment of Gratuity Act has been interpreted differently. One interpretation is that if the employee has worked for 240 days (190 days for establishment which work for less than 6 days in a week) in the fifth year, that year shall be treated as one year. If that interpretation is taken you will get gratuity. Another interpretation is that in order to be eligible for gratuity the basic condition is completion of five years service with each year constituting 240 days/ 190 days, as the case may be, in each year of 12 months. If this interpretation is taken then you will not be entitled to get gratuity. There are a few High Court rulings in support of the first interpretation, though there is no Supreme Court verdict in support of it. Therefore, if your establishment considers the second interpretation, that is, completion of 5 years for eligibility, and then working of 240/190 days in each year for entitlement and computation then you may have to challenge it before the Controlling Authority quoting these verdicts.

Approaching a Controlling Authority or taking a previous employer to that extent may spoil the relationship and the employer may retaliate by giving negative remarks. Therefore, such an action is not recommended if you are planning to continue with service in private sector. Obviously, if you are selected for any government opening or get an offer from any PSU or are planning to work independently then you can try the option of fighting.

From India, Kannur
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.