unusual_indu

Respected Senior(Hiten)

Thank you for your comments.I took a certain amount of risk when I recruited this person but then agian I guess the risk factor was more if I would have recruited someone who "reluctantly said yes to our offer".But then again if (like in your case) my decison would have backfired then I had to face the music from the management.Actually when I got into this job I was almost a fresher and I was taught by one of my professors that it is sometimes difficult to recruit freshers beacause as you have rightly pointed out "zeal","enthusiasm" etc are not quantifiable ,neither do theyhave any past experiences to back them,so the only thing that can make a difference is thier commitment level.

Moreover although the other guy was good communication skillwise but nevertheless he needed training on a particular US accent,so he was not a ready resource for us ,neither was the other guy.

I will remember your advice and will try to implement the same in future

Keep posting

Thanks and Regards

Indrani Chakraborty

P.S I will reply to the other comments on the pvt message board :)

From India, Pune
M.Peer Mohamed Sardhar

Excellent Decision,,, You have given him the job & the need for Communication Skills,,, You have taught him how to survive in life,,,,,
From India, Coimbatore
unusual_indu

Respected Senior(Md Sardar)
Thank you for your compliment.Such a comment coming from a senior member of the community has definitely made my day :)
Keep Posting
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Shilpi Jain Pahuja

Hi Indrani Chakraborty
I dnt think so that u had done any injustice to the candidate wth good communication skill wat u had done that time was rite by seeing the performance of the candidate whom u had hired that time was doing very well so dnt feel guilty do watever u like n wat u think is rite
so keep smiling alwaz :D
Regards
Shilpi

PraveenIP

Indu,

I have gone through many of the views mentioned here. Personally I think you did a good choice. Most HR personnel are aware of the BPO culture even if you don't work for one.

This ic the Gen Next as what many have termed it to be. I would like to mention that the guy who was bargaining with another offer in hand would have jumped ship in a few months for a few rupees more. What use of hiring such bargainers who don't have any idea about the future? They don't know that this jumping around will have terrible effect as they grow older and will have a hard time to find a good job in a senior position.

Couple of times I have also allowed emotional influences when hiring personnel. I am lucky that the candidates who were recruited on this basis have performed and have struck with the company.

I have one time very recently had to let go of a candidate who fits the bill perfectly but was bargaining with me keeping another offer in hand. We all work under tremendous pressure when it comes to hiring but we cannot allow the candidates to bargain beyond limits. The threat of another offer letter is always not good to use.

With respect to karens posting i would like to know how do you know the candidate we interact with for a few hours are the best? Do all the psychometric tests provide perfect candidates?

Judgement based on all factors which also includes emotional factors is the best bet I have found in hiring. It has worked out well for me and I prefer to stick to it. I request you not to lose sleep over this issue. You did the perfect job. You always need to recruit the needy not the greedy!

Regards

Praveen

From India
unusual_indu

Respected Senior(Praveen)

Thank you very much for your comments.You have rightly pointed out that the culture in a BPO is very different from any other company.They come to work at night some of them dress like hippies,they have a very casual attitude towards life,most of them are between the age bracket of 18-24.I enjoyed working in a BPO because you get a chance to work with a young and vibrant crowd,who are still not aware about the corporate culture and most of them are childish and innocent.

But at the end of the day they need to perform ,they all have very strict sales targets to achieve and believe me the pressure is tremendous and hence the attrition rate is very high .Moreover training is required for anyone and everyone who is going to interact with customers so the management used to put a great deal of emphasis in selecting a candidate who will stick around atleast for a year .For entry level candidates I seriously doubt how "psychometric test" is going to help,because most of them dont know what they want from life,they are working just for the sake of it.

Honestly speaking I found your views to be one of the best among all the views I have read on this topic

Keep posting

Thanks and Regards

Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
shipra.singh
Right Indu
I totally correspond with your thoughts. That is why I said that you have been fortunate enough in this case that you found a justifiable candidate.
Sometimes its our intution which works. Eventually we have to keep our minds open as "Mind is like a parachute which works best when it is open"! So you have taken a wise decision after evaluating all 'ifs & buts'.
Well continue the good work .. :)
Shipra

From India, New Delhi
AVINASH V RAO

Dear Ms. Indu,
As an HR professional, it is imperative for us to understand that we provide opportunity not for the best talent, but for the talent that is most mouldable and for persons who are ready to learn. In the case stated above, it was money that was the driving factor the individual, but he was also willing to learn. If one looks at the consequences of selecting the candidate, he turned out to be an outperformer. If you had hired the guy with the good communication skills, you would have landed up with a only a good performer.
In fact, it is an admirable fact that you followed your intuition and hired the right candidate. Strong intuition about the right candidates always reduces chances of making errors.
So I guess you have one more of the many replies you have already received. But I hope it shall be useful in further clarifying your dilemma.
Regards
Avinash V Rao
Udai Pareek HR LABS.

From India, Bangalore
Ashraf Alam

NO, you have done the right thing. any body with heart will same. you have done Justice to the society.
From India, Hyderabad
rakhee
Hi,

I don't think that you have done an injustice to the candidate with good communication skills.In the case of the other candidate,though he didn't have the required skill for the post but he had a consistently good accademic background.So you have taken into consideration,his merit.B'coz of his consistent performance in school/college,you judged him as a persevering person.So you have taken his merit into consideration ,though emotions seemed to influence your decision.Being needy is secondary.Just b'coz he is needy one cannot make an offer.He being a consistent performer and you being an HR person who believe in the strength of human potential and its development,i feel you did something right.

Other person already had a more attractive offer.Being a person with the required skills ,he would get better offers and would definitely bargain it out.Such people may not even stay with you for years.In a BPO industry where attrition is high,by giving chances for such consistent performers will definitely lead to better performance and you will be able to retain them,in the long run.

As most of them have mentioned ,emotions should not over ride while taking a decision.

Rakhee

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.