prashant talpade
hi friends, I am working as Mgr L &D, My organigation is not allowing me to take leave for practsing my religious tradion and customes. I have more than 30 days of paid leave to my credit and had also informed my employer 15 days in advance regarding the same, however there was no response. I am based out of Mumbai currently on official duty in south. My constitutial right of freedom to practise my religion and custom is effected, what remedies can i have. I also expect a negetive behaviour from my boss. I just have 2 days with me. rgds, PT
From India, Mumbai
Madhu.T.K

Dear Prashant, First of all let me say that leave is not a right of an employee but it can be refused according to the requirement of the organisation. Let us take it in good spirit that you being a Manager, your presence in the office is badly required during the time you have sought leave. Just by refusing leave, donot take decesion to leave because being job less you have no option to apply for a leave! Better appraise your boss of your urgency and of your presence there in the function. He will agree. Regards, Madhu.T.K
From India, Kannur
deepthireddy

Dear Mr.Prashant, I completely agree with Mr. Madhu. May be ur boss refused ur leave for genuine reasons...just like he would have refused the leave any other time. Please do not link it with religion. Also, i dont think ur boss or ur company is affecting ur constitutional rights. Right to practise any religion means that you are free to choose which religion you want to belong to and not that you should be mandatorily exempted from work to adhere to ur religious customs. Kindly speak to your boss about the importance of ur presence at home and try to convince him. Leaving ur job just for this reason seems a little hasty and immature.
From India, Hyderabad
priti.mer

Hello All I just want to know what is mean by ML (which type of leave it consider) Please reply Regards, priti
From India, Ahmadabad
saravanarajan

Hi All, When I agree with the views expressed, would like to add this. When a manager who had informed about his leave 15 days in advance and never received a response, he should have immediately checked on this status of his leave application and in the meantime he should had referred his company policy / rules and regulations in which this clause should have been incorporated. Secondly, its the responsibilty for each one of us to pay due attention towards our personal life also. May be the management would not have allowed the employee to be on long leave and if it is the case, he could have been allowed to be on leave for a shorter period INSTEAD of completely refusing it and BEHAVING differenty to the employee just because he had applied for long leave. - Saravana Rajan.
From India, Mumbai
prashant talpade
Hi All, Thank you all for helping me out......I definitely understand that right to grant a leave to an employee may be refused by his supervisors in case of organizational requirement which is very much acceptable. But what does an employee do when he was told verbally to go ahead with the leave and at the time of execution a complete U-Turn by the boss. (I have not availed any leave since December 07. I have already stayed approximately 95 days in hotel till date on official calls) Nor I would like to mix religion with profession as both are two different affairs.....however what do we say when some people in the same office are allowed special timing and breaks on a particular day even during business hours? All my efforts to convince him have failed and the fact is the kind of work which we have been asked to undertake at the current place of posting is some thing which we can very well do at my home location, on asked the reason for the same there is no response from the higher up. Me being in Learning & Development, where we constantly talk about company core values, missions and various policies and are responsible for inculcating and practicing the company culture, it pains to see that the people in HR itself just take all only on face value and do not believe or practice the same. Regards, Prashant Talpade
From India, Mumbai
K.Ravi

I DONT AGREE WITH U TWO ABOVE,,, PPL :-x so even if we are sick can the management refuse the leave, even if suppose an employee has very imp meeting, or very very imp deal, and if they fall sick, can u dare to call them, will u dare ??? what if his condition worsens, how come you people tell that LEAVE is not right of employee. This is a very sad situation and it is a COMMON MENTALITY of HR and BOSSES to refuse leaves to employees. And until and unless the people change their mentalities the situation is not going to improve. Regards RAVI
From India, Pune
Madhu.T.K

I think Mr. Ravi has taken my post in a different way. Sorry to say that no HR man is going to call a person undergoing treatment and no is going to refuse leave if leave is taken on genuine ground. But what I meant was to remind that leave could be refused if the urgency of the organisation so requires the employee to be present at office. In the case of Prashant it is very unfortunate also. But on the basis of this case it is not advisable to blame the entire HR persons. Regards, Madhu.T.K
From India, Kannur
saravanarajan

Hi, I feel that undestanding the employees personal life and requirements & ensure that they are met with are also part of HR`s responsibility, since the employee is working for the organisation !!!!!! It is the moral responsibility of the HR to take care of their employees. The question here is why the leave has orally been approved and then refused??? Many time leaves are orally granted and due formalities are completed after the leave is enjoyed???? I too agree its not only the HR to be blamed - but why in this case a senior is treated in this way??? -Saravana Rajan
From India, Mumbai
ajaysharma1969
I am agree with Mr. Madhu. T.K (But on the basis of this case it is not advisable to blame the entire HR persons. ) I am not agree with D.Kumar Manager - HR, How can he suggest for lleave the company being as Manager - HR Chennai Ajay Sharma
From India, Lucknow
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.